Friday, July 24, 2015

Providenciales 1.5

Wednesday AM, first full day here. I wanted to get a headstart on snorkeling, and I couldn’t wake anyone up.  It was already about 7 AM, never mind that that’s 4 AM PDT. Everyone should be awake by then.

Had a hard time finding the reef.  There seemed to be patches of reef scattered among the vast stretches of sand and seagrass.  Explored a bunch of areas. But it was hard to find.




After breakfast, we drove to Graceway Gourmet, another branch of the Graceway that we went to on Tuesday.  A bigger deli, but overall, otherwise, smaller. Got our lunch (salads, sandwich makings), and ate just outside our “villa,” poolside.



That afternoon we went out to snorkel some more.  Connie went out too.  She learned how to Kayak.


Here is Sammie managing her kayak.





Here is Connie with Emily helping her.


Here is a video of Connie snorkeling.


Later, in the afternoon, we drove around the island.  Went leeward, then to Taylor Bay, which was beautiful.  You can walk hundreds of feet out into the bay, with the water only to your thighs.






We decided to eat at Three Queens. Home of the Conch Festival.  A real small place in an area called Blue Hills.  Hard to describe, but we got there about 7 PM, and they only had two items on the verbal menu, grouper and conch.  Nothing for Em, so we decided to eat elsewhere.  We went to Tiki Hut, pretty close to our “villa.”  Live music, and I got the baby back ribs. Veggie dish for Em. Connie got snapper. Sam got the roast chicken. Overall, good, but not great.  Very touristy.

Thursday AM, Em and I went out early, about 730 AM, and snorkeled more around our beach.  We saw much more, including a large reef right out at our access point. Here is a starfish in the seagrass, and a bunch of fish.





After we got out, and after breakfast, we went out into the touristy area of Grace Bay.  A couple of small malls.  A cigar factory.



We couldn’t decide on a place to eat lunch, so we had leftovers at our “villa.”


Everyone was tired, so I went out alone to snorkel our area. Found some more new areas of reef.

Thursday evening is the island Fish Fry.  Like a little street fair, with vendors selling jewelry, and local restaurants with booths of street food. 



Only Sam and I were really into the food, so we got takeaway food (grilled fish, cracked conch, and conch salad), and Connie/Em went to Green Beans for a salad. 




Here is my salad being made, above. Look at those pieces of conch in the clear plastic container on the far right.


When we were at Green Bean, we spied a head photo thingy.



Neither Sam nor Em wanted to pose.


We ate in our “villa." Delicious Cracked Conch below!




Em, Connie and I then went out to the beach to watch the sunset.  Really beautiful. That is Em showing how wide the Atlantic Ocean is.




No snorkeling, but Em went swimming in the seagrass area, and she found a conch. We named it Kink. Kink Conch.




I carried it to show Connie, then we put it back in the ocean.  Connie wanted to harvest it to eat.


Selfie with Connie at sunset.




Friday AM, I could not awaken anyone.  So, I went out by myself to snorkel.  Found several new areas to snorkel.  They were very close by too.


I found Kink again, in the seagrass!



Then I see a sting ray again.  This one also had a helper fish. This time I had my camera!



Here is a video I did.


Since I am alive to post this, I must have not met the same fate as Mr. Irwin. Stingrays are actually very docile creatures, and they don't attack, unless you are a Steve. They are venomous too.

I just hope we don't run into a Lionfish.  Those things are nasty. And they are wrecking much habitat in the Caribbean.

Some more pretty pics of fishies.




Here is a cool picture just at the surface when I was at a very shallow reef near the point at Turtle Cove.


After I returned, we had a quick breakfast, and then left to find Sapodilla Bay. The kids are into vast shallow waters.  It was ok.  I had our “villa” issued cell phone in the pocket of my swim trunks, though, and I walked out into the water.  %$#^&!!!  Well, that  was a mistake.

So we drove the short drive to Taylor Bay again.  Connie and the kids went way out into the Bay.  Really pretty, but it was really hot!


The little dots far toward the horizon are Sam, Em, and Connie.

It was very hot! I think I said that already.  We all wanted to leave to go to some cool AC place.  We decided to go to Graceway, and get some food for lunch. Then home for a siesta.

Dinner Friday.  Caicos Cafe.  Ziggy contributes to the Provo forum on Tripadvisor as a local expert.  He's also a NYC food critic.  Our meal was partially disrupted due to flying, biting insects, which leave welts on our skin. But a bunch of whiners will not sway my judgement.  A very good meal of seafood.

We arrived a little early, 15 minutes prior to opening at 6. So we walked around a bit.  We found one of the original Pirate of the Caribbean while roaming around. Notice that Emily is so hot, wearing a long sleeved shirt, that she is sweating profusely.  Later, during dinner, Connie sweat more than she does at Yoga.


Here is my mixed grill.  Clockwise from top left, Grilled Grouper, small scallop, calamari, grilled shrimp, baby octopus, Salmon. 


Perfectly cooked.  The salmon was really fresh and not overdone. Below, see Connie's grilled grouper, Potato au gratin, veggies.


Grouper Ravioli for Sam.  The ravioli was also not overcooked.  


Emily's spinach salad.


Ice mousse. Really nice.



Key lime pie.  Those big green things are candied sugar.  Crunchy.



No comments:

Post a Comment