Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Arrived in Provo

Relatively uneventful trip.  Got to SFO at 8PM.  Boarded a crowded (very full) Delta flight to Atlanta, and arrived at about 7 AM Tuesday local time. None of us were able to sleep well on the plane, and then we ate a far from memorable breakfast at one of the international terminal food courts.  TGI Fridays.  Why did we do that? Why couldn't we be in Tokyo.

Enough.


When I made reservations for the Atlanta to Provo leg, it was totally full.  We got a good deal from Delta on the fares (leaving on a Monday night and returning on a Wednesday night helps).  I had to take 4 seats all spread apart in the plane.  OK, well, we were all sick of each other anyway.


The Atlanta airport is the busiest airport in the world in terms of daily person throughput. Well thought out, with a fast train that goes back and forth through the various terminals, it was a breeze to navigate.  After landing, we took the train to the International terminal and we didn't have to do any security measures.  I walked to our gate and asked the attendant if I needed to check in again. I was asking about our seat assignments too when she asked me what seats we were in.  She said I didn't need to check in again, and while checking the computer, found that our spread-apart seats were now reassigned to together-seats.  Efficient.  Though Sam and Em, now sick of each other, got mad at me for changing the seats.  They were to have each gotten window seats and now only one would.


There turned out to be a bunch of empty seats on the plane, which confused me.  I even asked the friendly flight attendant if the flight was full, and she said it was supposed to be, but...  We got reassigned to an exit row with great leg room!!!  Even for Randy-Newman-type people, we could really appreciate this.


Anyway, we got our comped taxi from the Airport after a not-Japan-like long wait in line at Immigration.  They say "island time."  I told Connie that she should be tolerant of not-too-fast service at restaurants, as well as the co$t of food here.  It really is high.


Well, after arriving at our "villa,"  we unpacked and wanted to get some groceries at the local grocer.  But we needed our rental car.  When Bea (with Gloria's taxi) dropped us off after shuttling us from the airport, we just walked into our Magnolia Villa, since we knew that's where we were staying, and started unpacking.  We were changed and getting our lunch plans finalized, and still no sign of management.  Then Luz walks over.  Very nice, and she tells us the details of our "villa."  She shows us that our rental car is already parked in the space reserved for us.  So far, all is great.


Weather in Provo is hot, humid, but comfortable.  Tokyo, after stepping off the plane in Narita in July, is extremely uncomfortable.  I don't care how much we would be anticipating Japan.  Summer is humid and not comfortable in Japan.  I think it seems less humid here.


We drive to Sharkbite (hopefully, not foreshadowing future events on this trip) for dunch (sorry, linner) at 3PM.  A watering hole for locals, and close enough to walk to from our "villa," Sharkbite at 3PM on a Tuesday was not very lively.  But the Conch was great!  It is on a harbor called Turtle Cove, really, within walking distance of our "villa."









I needed the lager (the local Turks Head Premium Lager).  Downed half of it on delivery. I knew we had to eat there once or twice on our trip.  Really nice Conch Salad with so many chunks of raw citrus-marinated conch.  Spicy.  Tender.








I had the Conch and Chips.  I substituted rice and peas for the fries.





A grouper reuben with rice and peas.





And a veggie wrap for Em.





I was gonna say I was on island time and not post these pics, but... my OCD took over.


Anyway, this meal was about $65 in local currency. Here's the local Sharkbite, tailless cat.




Not cheap, but it was quality food.


Afterwards, we went to Graceway grocery.  Nothing special.  But it had everything we needed.  Spent about $175 on the necessities, including a $5 styrofoam cooler, bottled water, some Turks Head beer at $12/six (Coors is $80/24 bottles), and laundry detergent since we traveled light. Loads of produce, flown in from the mainland.


Then, we snorkeled in Smith's Reef. Our "villa" is not oceanfront, but it is still a very short walk to the ocean. I told the kids not to even bring their coverups.


Didn't get out to the coral.  Kids were Chicken. The kids were more into kayaking (free at our "villa"). While I was out and about only about 10 yards from shore, I see a sting ray, with a fish on top (like a helper fish?). I later read that Stingrays have a commensal relationship with many fish. I don't get close, though I was tempted since it was only about 24 inches wide. No pics, since I left the camera in the "villa." I purchased a new waterproof, impact proof, abuse proof camera, since our last one truly died in Yoshino beach in Miyakojima last year. Sammie later sees a sting ray while in the kayak.   Barracuda and shark (not the Jaws kind) also abound in these waters, so I will be careful (didn't see any yet).

We spend a short time in the small "villa" pool.  Then back to our "villa" to rest for the night.  I was trying to get things all straightened away, including media.  Got the internet working (kids did that), and I tried to get the TV working.  The satellite TV system was somewhat haywire, and I mentioned in a hushed voice that the TV gets a grand total of one station!


Creepy, but about a minute after I said that out loud, Luz comes over and talks to me, and asks what is wrong with the TV?  How the @#$%&! would she know?  Like James Bond, or Jack Bauer, I look around the room for hidden mikes, and ask the kids to speak softly (and carry a big sting ray).


By the way, they get Comcast Giants on TV here (!), so I see them beating the Pads through the 4th inning. I was happy to see Kruk and Kuip!


No comments:

Post a Comment